The first church on Pine Island was built in 1923, in Pineland, by the Methodist Mission Board. The minister would travel here by boat once a month from Boca Grande to hold services. One of the ministers, Reverend Wright Carlson, was really popular because he could also cut hair while he was there. His weekly job was a barber. This church is now a private residence.
The first school house in St. James City was also their church on Sundays. There was no full time minister, but there were traveling ones that was hold service. They were known as Circuit Riders.
Here is a picture of the children and their school on Cayo Costa.
Credit Museum of the Islands
This Chapter Living Here-The Early Years
Next Page Social Activities
Next Chapter Pine Island Communities