Museum of the Islands

Preserving the past for the future on Pine Island, Florida

Matlacha’s First Post Office

Matlacha was originally called Harrsenville, named after Harro P. Harrsen.  The elder Harrsen carried mail three time a week from St. James City to Harrsenville, where he had a post office in his home.  That post office was in operation from 1899 – 1903.  Matlacha’s current post office was established in 1953,

This Chapter Mail Delivery
Next Chapter Living Here-The Early Years
Home Page